Sunday, February 17, 2008

PADDLE OUT

Sorry I am talking about my dad again. But when I am thinking about him, doing something like this helps. The day after his funeral we had a Paddle Out in honor of him. This was very his style! About 50 people joined us on the sand and in the water. You gather in a circle to pray and share stories. It is a type of ceremony with flowers and slapping of hands on the water. My son Christian went in the middle of the circle and shared his memories that he will always have with his Grandpa. It was my proudest moment of being my son's mother!

Look close- there is a seal waving in the background!

Catching one for my dad!

8 comments:

Dixons said...

That is such a cool thing. What a neat way to celebrate and honor your dad.

Kim Harvey said...

Hey Autumn, it's Kim. So glad I was blog stalking and found your blog. It's always great to catch up with you. Anyway, what an awesome ceremony and great way to honor your dad. I was so sad to hear of your loss. Hope you got my text I sent. Keep in touch. XOXOX

Amber said...

Those are incredible pictures. And the seal...it couldn't get any better than that.

Anonymous said...

Autumn, your Dad was one of the coolest Dad's I have ever known. I loved to be around him in high school. He was such a tease, but the nicest man all at the same time. I always felt like he liked me. I think he made everyone feel that way. He will be missed.

megan said...

Autumn, Oh my BLOG!! I can't believe I found you. This is megan kimball remember Marina days. Go vikes. I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I think that the way you honored him is so cool. I love how you all met up in a circle. I know that he was smiling down on you. I hope that aside from this hard time in your life that your family is good. I hope to check in on you from time to time. It was great to find your BLOG!

Nichole said...

Hi Autumn...it is a small world!!! That is funny you know Cameron, Kaylee & Jaimie...only in the LDS world!!! Can you believe Jaimie has 4 little ones! Isn't she the cutest 'lil mom ever! (Our hubbies were in law school together) She is such a fun and energetic girl! But you'd have to be with 4 under the age of 5!!!

So, Cameron has 2 little boys that are sooo darling...as you can see on my blog! (but those boys are HIGH maintanance...I think it is a small taste of what C was like when he was little.) He lives in Hawaii along with a few of my other bros. and parents...I'm a little jealous! Especially seeing you and your friends surfing...I miss those days!

I LOVE Kaylee...she is on of my very best childhood friends!!! She is the most darling and sweetest girl ever! Do you live by her now!?! We just saw her last June when we were at Disneyland....her picture is one of the very first ones I posted on my blog! I will tell Cameron I bumped into you!!!

Nichole said...

I am sorry about your dad. What a great way to remember him by! Hang in there!

Kim said...

Hey Autumn! Bagel Me was the last place I saw you. I love that place, I wish I live closer. Talk about cute family, I love the ear piercing post! Sorry about your dad. It was good to see pictures of your sisters too.